10 SEO Tips For WordPress Websites From Semalt
Search engines only care about certain "tech things" like alt tags, file names, and keywords. Understanding how these "tech things" work could bring success to the business, when neglecting them can work against you.
Artem Abgarian, the Customer Success Manager of Semalt, gives valuable tips on how to get noticed on the Internet with your WordPress website.
- Content is the best optimization. Optimization is only effective if it is backed up by unique and quality content. Texts and keywords highlight the theme of a post. Content should focus on the visitor needs and not the search engines. It also needs to be readable and comprehensible.
- Exchanging back-links. If this exchange is done properly and links come from the relevant, high authority websites that offer the same content your site, it will give you great benefits.
- Assigning proper names to images files. Drawing on the most relevant images and texts contained in a post, Google displays all results that relate to them based on the query made. It is advisable to use keywords of a specific subject in the picture, remembering to use alt tag and title tags to increase visibility and optimization.
- Short permalinks that include keywords. Understandable permalinks are advantageous to business. On a permalink, only the first four words are relevant, as Google omits all words that follow.
- Search engine optimized themes. Some website themes use too much code to create the layout and design. Google has to crawl through the source code to fish out relevant content. The more complicated the code is, the less the content, and keyword density retrieved. Performance is a key factor when determining search ranking, which is why fast performing themes improve the business's Google ranking.
- Create a sitemap in XML format. It gets easy to accomplish this task when using Google XML Sitemaps plugins. Other resources to use include Website Optimizer and Webmaster Central.
- Highlight informative content or keywords. The keys h1-h6 help to highlight headings, subtitles, or important messages on an article.
- Social network posts. Posting in social networks is prudent for SEO optimization. As much as it promotes some value for the SEO, posts should be diverse and not only about business. It will help you to build a great communication between you and your audience.
- Retaining from black hat SEO practice. It is virtually impossible to trick Google with using black hat or mirror HTML sites, as Google will eventually find them and impose heavy penalties.
- Working with the right platform. Avoid using Flash as it is invisible for search engines and instead, make use of WordPress.
SEO improves the volume or quality of traffic to a given website. Search engines help in achieving this by driving traffic through "natural" or "unpaid" search results. The theory behind this is that the earlier, or higher a site appears in the results queue, the bigger number of visitors it will receive.